Sunday, April 5, 2009

Final words of the monster and Victor

"When Victor meets Walton, he asks him to kill the monster he has been chasing. Victor doesn't want the monster to continue to live while he is on the verge of death. "Oh! when will my guiding spirit, in conducting me to thye daemon, allow me the rest I so much desire; or must I die, and he yet live? If I do, swear to me, Walton, that he shall not escape; that you will seek him, and satisfy my vengeance in his death. And do I dare to ask of you to undertake my pilgrimage, to endure the hardships that I have undergone? No; I am not so selfish. Yet, when I am dead, if he should appear; if the ministers of vengeance should conduct him to you, swear that he shall not live-swear that he shall not triumph over my accumulated woes and survive to add to the list of his dark crimes. He is eloquent and pesuasive; and once his words had even power over my heart: but trust him not. Hear him not; call on the manes of William, Justine, Clerbval, Elizabeth, my father, and of the wretched Victor, and thrust your sword into his heart. I will hover near, and direct the steel aright (p.155)." His final words are harsh towards the monster. Victor is only upset because he has nothing left. He didn't see himself dying this way. He now feels what the monster has been feeling all along. His final words differ from the monster's. The monster's final words are angry, yet forgiving, He saw Victor laying in the coffin and you could sense that the monster still felt anger toward him even though he was dead. He gives reasons for his murderous rampage. He wanted to let Victor know how much he has suffered. "Farewell! I leave you, and in the last of human-kind whom these eyes will ever behold. Farewell, Frankenstein! If thou wert yet alive and yet cherished a desire of revenge against me, it would be better satiated in my life than in my destruction. But it was not so; thou didst seek my extinction, that I might not cause greater wretchedness; and if yet, in some mode unknown to me, thou hadst not ceased to think and feel, thou wouldst not desire against me a vengeance greater than that which I feel. Blasted as thou wert, my agony was still superior tho thine; for the bitter sting of remorse will not cease to rankle in my wounds until death shall close them for ever (p.166)." The monster never once wished bad things on Victor. He showed his caring side which Victor never got a chance to experience. The way their final words compare is that they each expressed what they truly felt. They didn't get a chance to tell each other how they felt too.

3 comments:

  1. Victor's final words about the monster were very selfish and hurtful. Still he is only thinking of himself even on his death bed. The monster expressed about the way he felt for Victor which was nothing like what he got in return.

    ReplyDelete